Business Operations AssociateTweet about this!
We're looking for a new teammate in the Business Operations department who has successfully delivered commercial products for product and software engineering teams. Zapier’s on a mission to democratize automation. Over 3 million professionals already use Zapier to save more time, but there are millions more to reach. This role will work on a wide variety of company projects and making sure that the team delivers on its targets is key. It is not a people manager role.
If you’re interested in growing your career at a fast-growing and profitable startup, then read on… We know applying for and taking on a new job at any company requires a leap of faith. We want you to feel comfortable and excited to apply at Zapier. To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier. Hopefully, you'll take the leap of faith and apply.
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
You’re a skilled generalist. We’re looking for an internal consultant who can get up to speed quickly on a wide range of company projects. This role is on the junior side for the Biz Ops team. Deep experience in a particular space will be valuable, but you’ll be asked to stretch outside any single department in the company. It’s a good sign if you’re the type of person who started a business in school or have a side project that makes real progress. We're looking for someone with 2+ years of experience as a consultant, in software, or as an entrepreneur. You’ll need to be effective in an unfamiliar area quickly. You also need to be able to transition quickly from big picture strategic thinking to tactical execution. This role will rely on you for both.
Low ego: Nothing is “not my job”. Our Biz Ops team is a collection of generalists who can work across the organization, but we also have a T-shape to our experiences that complement each other. We do things that don’t scale, so that we can figure out how to make them work at scale.
You believe relationships are critical to success. This role will be responsible for outcomes of projects but will have no direct-line manager authority. You need to be able to help teams deliver their best work and accomplish their goals without relying on org-structure authority. You'll influence through ideas, facts, and data.
You’re data-focused. Zapier is a data-driven organization and we need this person to help guide conversations. If you need data you should be able to self serve a lot of it and ask the data team well-formed questions when you need something deeper. If there’s no data person on the call, you should be the most data-comfortable person participating. You’ll be expected to be able to do your own reporting and analysis regularly, with support from the data team on the hardest problems. It’s ok if your tool of choice is excel or google sheets, but even better if you’re confident in data warehouse and data visualization tools like SQL (we use redshift), Looker, or similar.
You understand the importance of speed and iteration. You should have a bias for delivering work as fast as possible. Once you get feedback, you should be comfortable iterating (or even wholesale throwing out) your prior work in the face of new information. This team spends lots of time on new concepts so being willing to try new things in short periods of time is more valuable than perfecting things over longer time horizons.
You’re an excellent written communicator. We’re also a 100% remote team, and writing is our primary means of communication at Zapier, so this bullet appears in most jobs. It’s even more critical here. This role will often need to write company-wide communication on a mix of important and sometimes nuanced subjects. You need to be clear, concise, and understand that the reader’s time is more valuable than your own.
You’re solid at time management. You’ll juggle a variety of fast-moving communications projects, and as a part of a distributed team, you’ll be trusted to work with minimal supervision. Process and organization will help you succeed in this role.
Things You Might Do
By definition, this role will have varying responsibilities. This is a list of some that have come up recently. You might do some or all of these types of things, but is not a comprehensive list and you may not do all of them.
- Drive an internal company research project with external consultants, internal participants and stakeholders, and executive review.
- Work with our Zapier Labs teams on launching an alpha/beta product to market
- Dig into data to understand why a particular market segment is converting so well (or poorly)
- Build deep understanding of the Zapier user journey (user funnel) and the User behavior on both sides of our marketplace. Then, help the projects that you’re working on pull the right levers.
- Ensure a specific set of stakeholders complete their Monthly and Quarterly MBR and QBR review documentation. Write a summary of the cross-team themes.
- Help the company make decisions around tools. For example, have we outgrown a particular tool? Should we consolidate competing tools around the company? Etc.
- Supporting the leader of a cross-functional strategic initiative on anything that makes them more effective.
- Find every decision profile anyone in the company has written and summarize them into single table with decision, approver, date written, date completed. Setup a process to keep this up to date indefinitely.
- As a part of our All Hands Support initiative, help customers have the best possible experience with Zapier
Zapier helps people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a code of conduct.
The Whole Package
Location: Must have 2-3 hours of regular overlap with US East Coast time zone between 9AM-5PM EST.
Our distributed environment lets us work with the best people. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- Profit sharing
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
Your own equipment. We'll set you up with an Apple laptop and provide an additional budget for you to choose other home office accessories and software you may need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Travel of 5% - 10% for company retreats which rotate to various cities throughout North America
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to interact with people from these great companies
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US, UK, and Canadian employees.
How to Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate. Please make sure to answer each question.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Our code of conduct provides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.