Additive Manufacturing Engineer, ProcessTweet about this!
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
ADDITIVE MANUFACTURING ENGINEER, PROCESS
Develop and productionize the metal additive printing process. Collaborate with additive applications engineers and production teams to ensure quality and consistency through print and post-processing. Delegate tasks where needed, but ultimately responsible for success of the metal printing process.
- Proactively drive robust and long-term improvements on printer platforms to meet quality, capability, cost, and production rate needs. Implement custom printer upgrades as needed to support production goals
- Evaluate new print platforms, and be the point of contact with printer OEMs to drive improvements and set work priority
- Perform process parameter development with experimentation to improve print time, print capability, and material quality. Develop and implement custom build file slicing software and techniques
- Manage qualified metallurgical process (QMP) on printer platform to define, characterize, and control printed material metallurgy
- Establish operation, calibration, and preventative maintenance tools and procedures to enable independent execution by the production team
- Setup systems to manage spare parts and consumables management to prevent printer downtime
- Drive effective configuration management to manage implementation of changes
- Support platform qualification efforts to certify for human spaceflight
- Collaborate on production ramp efforts to ensure adequate infrastructure is in place for product success
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, or other engineering discipline
- 2+ years of engineering design or manufacturing industry experience
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of experience in metal additive manufacturing
- Hands-on experience operating laser powder bed fusion platforms
- Ability to program intricate custom build files for metal additive systems
- Firm command of fiber laser systems, multi-axis Galvo scanners, and laser metrology
- Demonstrated effective process troubleshooting of mechatronic production equipment
- Tangible demonstration of hardware and software upgrades on production equipment
- Experience in a fast-paced, iterative design environment within the aerospace, marine or automotive industries
- Siemens NX 3D modeling and assembly experience
- Ability to perform trade studies using first principles and engineering fundamentals
- Proficient in basic principles of mechatronics and system design
- Excellent communication skills and ability to project manage across teams
- Able to work well in an integrated collaborative team environment
- Highly self-motivated and able to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Willing to work extended hours and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.