3D Printing Technician (Foundry)Tweet about this!
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
3D PRINTING TECHNICIAN (FOUNDRY)
We are seeking an individual who is motivated, adaptable, inquisitive, has a high level of attention to detail, and is eager to learn new things. The Foundry Pattern and Shelling Technician will be responsible for learning the details of our processes as they evolve, and using that understanding to effectively and safely operate equipment and propose improvements that help SpaceX make world-changing launch vehicles and spacecraft. If this sounds exciting, we want to hear from you!
- Operate related equipment and systems for plastic 3D printers, perform hand finishing, wax dipping, and assembly for printed components that meet critical dimensional tolerances
- Operate and maintain systems for shell manufacturing including part loading, in-process inspection, and slurry sampling
- Take initiative in problem solving, cost reductions, and process improvement
- Work with design engineers and tooling engineers to take products from design to production
- Work with quality engineers to reduce defects and maintain high yield
- Provide hands-on support to other foundry areas when developing prototype and production hardware
- Take operational ownership of the equipment and processes for patterns and shells
- High school diploma or equivalency certificate
- 1+ years of hands-on experience with one or more of the following processes: 3D printing, gluing/assembling plastic parts, surface prep, inspecting parts, operator maintenance (PM’s) of sophisticated equipment, maintaining process fluids/chemicals, CNC equipment setups, designing/modifying fixtures, operating lab or manufacturing equipment, documenting improvements
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of professional experience in a manufacturing or production environment
- Demonstrated professional track record of creative problem solving, cost reductions, and process improvement
- History of starting up new work centers, documenting info to establish solid processes, and new product introduction from design to production
- Experience with 3D printers – operation and/or programming
- Familiarity with HMI, PLC, or robot programming
- Excellent hand work (sanding, cutting, assembly, etc.)
- Comfortable with a mix of repetitive and new work processes
- Experience with investment casting
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization
- Excellent attention to detail
- Must be available for both 1st shift (5 AM - 1:30 PM) and 2nd shift (1:30 PM - 12 AM)
- Must be willing to work all shifts, over time, and weekends as needed
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.