Senior Cloud Engineer
As a member of the Infrastructure team, the Senior Cloud Engineer at Protenus is responsible for the daily operation, scalability, and agility of the Protenus platform. The Senior Cloud Engineer utilizes infrastructure-as-code and CICD best practices to design, implement, and operate innovative technical solutions which provide the core infrastructure for our SaaS platform. These components ensure the safety and security of patient data within our data repositories in order to protect one of our most important assets: the trust that exists between our company and our customers.
In addition to serving as a technical expert and leader for Protenus’ infrastructure components and systems, the Senior Cloud Engineer should serve as a mentor to the team, sharing their knowledge and expertise to drive architectural and operational improvements. Cross-team collaboration is a daily function in this role -- the Senior Cloud Engineer will interact with contributors across Engineering, Security, and IT to champion best practices.
To read more about our Infrastructure team and how we are scaling for the future, check out the blog article our Director of Infrastructure, Aaron Stahl, wrote for our tech blog.
- Tackles large scale infrastructure issues, both of an operational and architectural nature. Senior engineers are expected to handle difficult technical projects with minimal oversight, providing training, documentation, and code reviews for their peers across the company.
- Designs sustainable and scalable infrastructure solutions through code-based and automated solutions.
- Ensures the operational excellence of the customer experience, focusing on uptime, security, and maintainability of the infrastructure.
- Assists with the ongoing compliance goals of Protenus through partnerships with the Security and Policy & Procedure teams.
- Mentors other Cloud Engineers on technologies, engineering principles, and best practices.
Key Qualifications, Skills, Competencies
- 5+ years operational experience with user-facing production environments.
- Significant experience with core technical concepts needed for Linux environment troubleshooting: networking, SSH, SSL, databases, JVMs, etc. Candidates should be able to own incident analysis and mentor others.
- Several years experience working in commercial cloud environments (AWS experience required).
- Several years experience designing Infrastructure-as-Code frameworks, templating languages, and artifact creation:
- Infrastructure Frameworks: Terraform, CloudFormation
- Artifact Creation: Docker Containers, AWS AMIs, or similar
- Hands-on experience configuring deployment pipelines in CI/CD automation tools such as Git, Jenkins, Spinnaker, GitLab CI, etc.
- Ability to communicate with clarity and precision. We care about this almost as much as your technical knowledge.
- In-depth knowledge of key AWS services:
- Networking with VPCs, security groups, network ACLs, ELB, and Route 53.
- Compute using ECS with EC2 instances (spot & on-demand), EBS, and auto-scaling for high availability.
- Encrypted data storage via S3, RDS, and EBS via KMS managed keys.
- IAM configuration and maintenance.
- Strong scripting ability and a love of automation. We’re heavily invested in an Infrastructure-as-Code approach, so you need to be comfortable with developing in Python or Go utilities.
- Comfortable working in an Agile (Kanban or Scrum) workflow with other technical peers and colleagues. A collaborative mindset with a sense of personal ownership for your work is a must.
- Experience with any of the following technologies is a plus:
- Container Orchestration in Kubernetes
- System Configuration in Ansible or similar
- Automated testing frameworks
Protenus uses artificial intelligence to reduce risk and save resources for the nation’s leading health systems, detecting and preventing compliance violations such as breaches to patient privacy and incidents of clinical drug diversion. Compliance analytics provide healthcare leaders full insight into how health data is being used, and alerts privacy, pharmacy and compliance teams to inappropriate activity. Protenus helps our partner hospitals make decisions about how to better protect their data, their patients, and their institutions.
For two consecutive years, Protenus was named one of Forbes’ Best Startup Employers and one of CBInsights Digital Health 150. Protenus was also named the 2020 and 2019 KLAS Category Leader in Patient Privacy Monitoring and one of The Best Places to Work in Healthcare by Modern Healthcare. In 2019, Protenus was awarded the Best Places to Work in Baltimore by the Baltimore Business Journal and the Baltimore Sun. Learn more at Protenus.com and follow us on Twitter @Protenus.