Customer Solutions Engineer
A Solutions Engineer at Protenus is a position tailored for someone with a customer-focused mentality, technical proficiency, excellent communication skills, and obsessive attention to detail. You will become an expert in the Protenus platform, a cloud-based data processing and analytics system running on Amazon Web Services. Working with customers and technical teams, you will contribute to a successful customer experience by setting up infrastructure, analyzing data, responding to technical questions, and building tools that help you do all of that more efficiently and effectively. You will build on a strong foundation of technical knowledge and familiarity with implementing systems of modest complexity. You will have an excellent ability to communicate technical solutions in a way that makes sense to both application users and system administrators.
During a customer implementation, you will actively consult with customers on how to properly extract, transform, and load their data into the Protenus platform. Post implementation, you will continue to support the customer as needed to maintain data feed continuity and quality and assist with ad hoc technical requests from the customer. You will create documentation and improve tools that allow you and others to produce consistently high-quality solutions. This is a great position for someone who wants to understand the nuances and complexities of healthcare data while also learning how to implement and operate a sophisticated software platform.
Our aim is to enable scientists, engineers, and technologists who are looking for the next challenge in their career to find meaningful work that directly contributes to the company’s success. We focus on utilizing individual strengths and developing potential. Solutions engineers will interact regularly with project managers, customer success managers, product developers, and infrastructure engineers and will have the opportunity to transition into new roles throughout their career at Protenus.
To learn more about the role, read our Employee Spotlight
Read the Protenus Tech Blog to learn more about our engineering culture, software practices, and underlying infrastructure.
- Perform data analysis and configure Protenus systems to perform with the highest degree of accuracy
- Perform testing and maintenance on production and integration systems
- Build and maintain tooling that increases productivity and data quality
- Develop technical expertise, learning and adopting best practices from team members
- Think about the customer and their experience, providing information and solutions that meet their needs, and sharing ideas for improvement
- Manage multiple projects concurrently, maintaining high degree of service and responsiveness for all customers
- Potentially travel (up to 7 days per month) to customer sites, when needed, to accelerate an implementation and build relationships with technical staff
- Participate in our on-call system monitoring rotation
- Openly receive coaching and mentorship from managers and senior staff members
- Bring ideas and fresh perspectives from educational and other relevant experiences
Key Qualifications, Skills, Competencies
- Professional communication skills - written and verbal - that demonstrate an ability to work well on a team and with both technical and non-technical customer contacts
- Experience with software development, scripting, and data analysis
- Past experience with queries on relational (SQL, MS-SQL, Oracle) or non-relational databases (MongoDB). Ability to build and maintain scripts is a plus.
- Proficiency operating from the command line (e.g. bash, zsh, powershell) to interact with files, data, and command-line tools
- Proficiency with programming languages such as Java, Scala, and/or Python
- Interest in the Protenus mission and the healthcare and cybersecurity domains
- Enthusiasm for working on teams that use Agile and DevOps methodologies
- Proficiency with Linux, Mac, and Windows operating systems
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services and how cloud computing services work
- Experience with applying information system security concepts such as single-sign-on, IP inclusion, and multi-factor-authentication
We value diversity on our team and firmly believe Protenus is stronger when we hire people who make their own unique contributions to our culture. We welcome all applicants and encourage candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Join our team to see how you can learn and grow with us.
Protenus uses artificial intelligence to reduce risk and save resources for the nation’s leading health systems, detecting and preventing compliance violations such as breaches to patient privacy and incidents of clinical drug diversion. Compliance analytics provide healthcare leaders full insight into how health data is being used, and alerts privacy, pharmacy and compliance teams to inappropriate activity. Protenus helps our partner hospitals make decisions about how to better protect their data, their patients, and their institutions.
For two consecutive years, Protenus was named one of Forbes’ Best Startup Employers and one of CBInsights Digital Health 150. Protenus was also named the 2020 and 2019 KLAS Category Leader in Patient Privacy Monitoring and one of The Best Places to Work in Healthcare by Modern Healthcare. In 2019, Protenus was awarded the Best Places to Work in Baltimore by the Baltimore Business Journal and the Baltimore Sun. Learn more at Protenus.com and follow us on Twitter @Protenus.