Director of Data EngineeringTweet about this!
At NerdWallet, we are passionate about helping consumers make the right financial decision by building delightful product experiences. We are looking for a talented Data Engineering Director who is passionate about working in a dynamic, high-growth start-up environment.
As the Director of Data Engineering, you’ll be responsible for our core data platform & data warehouse that powers our BI, Analytics, and Data Science teams. You’ll build and manage a growing team of Data Engineers and Data Engineering Managers. You’ll play a key role in technical leadership of the Data organization at NerdWallet, building relationships with technical and business teams to ensure we provide cutting edge data capabilities to every part of the company.
Where you can make an impact:
- Inspire, lead and deliver data engineering innovations to fuel business growth and provide strong technical leadership for data engineering practices.
- Hire and mentor amazing data engineering professionals to grow the team.
- Collaborate with Analytics and Data Science teams to drive analytics and experimentation.
- Collaborate with Engineering, platform and security teams to deliver large scale strategic projects as well as ongoing operational excellence to drive measurable success.
- Manage the budget and vendor process for the data platform and engineering programs.
- A strong technical leader with deep expertise in data platform technologies.
- A natural collaborator and an inspiring leader who can motivate and lead high-level business objectives into actions.
- An excellent communicator who promotes transparency and clarity at every level of the organization.
- Have a strong background is software engineering and is passionate about data engineering.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you’re excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we’d love to hear from you.
- 10+ years experience leading data platform & integration teams in support of BI, Analytics, and Data Science teams.
- Experience hiring and developing engineering managers.
- Excellent track record of building state-of-the-art data platforms to drive decision making.
- Proven track record of attracting, hiring and mentoring strong data engineering talent.
- Expertise in SaaS data warehouses Snowflake & AWS Redshift.
- Familiarity with Apache Kafka, Spark and data processing orchestration tools like Airflow.
- Ensure that production deliverables being built are stable, scalable and supportable via Data Run operations.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life’s a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy – Flexible Time Off + 12 holidays + Mental Health Days
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives – Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Women, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we’ll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward – Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- WiFi stipend, work from home equipment stipend, and co-working space subsidy
- Commuting stipend and catered breakfast, lunch and onsite barista for SF based Nerds
- Anniversary recognition program – choose from different items and experiences
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.