AI / ML Engineer - Product InnovationTweet about this!
Myplanet is looking for an AI/ML Engineer who is a self-starter with a range of technical skills to lead the research and implementation of appropriate ML algorithms and tools for a greenfield product initiative. The AI/ML Engineer role reports to the Head of Product and will contribute to a cross-functional team that operates as an incubator of new product ideas within the Myplanet product organization. We are currently focused on solutions that blend image analysis and predictive analytics with code-modifying capabilities, leveraging platforms such as GCP AutoML Vision and in the future Open AI Codex. The ideal applicant is a generalist with experience in these or similar technologies, along with an interest in data science fundamentals. This role will work closely with our software development lead to deliver ML-driven features and models. In addition to having strong technical skills, the successful candidate will also contribute to ideation and brainstorming as part of a cross functional product team working towards a successful MVP.
What’s Unique About This Role
No legacy systems here - you will be working on a team building a new product from the ground up. You will have a leading voice in many areas of technology selection, the opportunity to prototype and explore new ideas, and the opportunity to design solutions from the ground up.
- You will work closely with product management and development to ideate and prototype novel features for a self-learning, self-healing, and self generating user interface platform.
- You will develop proof-of-concept prototypes to validate hypotheses and assumptions
- You will define approaches to data collection, pre-processing, and feature extraction for production-level features
- You will lead the technical development for production-level features that are selected for delivery to market.
- You will actively contribute to new product ideas, working with product management to bring together what’s possible with what is desirable to the market.
You will have an opportunity for coaching, mentoring, and educating team members on AI/ML best practices and technical R&D.
Is this Role a Fit for You?
This role emphasizes a blend of R&D, rapid prototyping, and delivering production-ready solutions. You should be comfortable in an environment that involves rapidly learning new technologies and approaches. You will be the go-to person when it comes to recommending AI/ML approaches and presenting results.
- Embrace ambiguity and uncertainty. Success and failure is defined by our ability to learn from every iteration and moving forward quickly even if we don’t have all the answers.
- Delight in bringing new offerings to life. You thrill at the concept of going beyond the theoretical and ensuring that solutions drive material benefit for customers
- Find passion in new challenges. Every chance to learn and move things forward with your can-do attitude or to share your entrepreneurship excites you.
- Thoroughly enjoy collaborative work. Knowledge sharing and the chance to be part of a team who co-own the output, instead of a solo hero who lives and dies by their work alone, is important to you.
- High impact. You enjoy working with small teams where the impact of each individual is key to success.
Skills and Qualifications
- You have an academic degree (MSc preferred) in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering or a related quantitative field complemented with a minimum of 4 years of working experience.
- Strong command of statistics and the science underpinning machine learning techniques and able to defend choices with math and/or data as well as real-world tradeoffs
- You have knowledge and experience in implementing some of the following modelling techniques: Image recognition and analysis, A/B testing (inferential statistics), predictive modelling, and/or NLP techniques;
- You have experience conducting research be it in form of research papers, blogs, or other sources, and turning it into code
- You have experience with practical applications of AI/ML solutions in production environments, with an understanding of when your data is suboptimal, the trade-offs of different approaches, and what are the appropriate actions to take.
- You are proficient in Python and have experience in some if not all of the following: scikit learn, pandas, numpy, GCP AutoML vision or OpenCV, tensor flow, pytorch, statsmodel, R
- You have experience working on early stage products, preferably in a startup environment, that require rapid iteration and experimentation.
Benefits and Perks
- Explore ongoing opportunities for professional development: training, conferences, certifications, and in-house peer mentorship
- Experiment with new techniques, wear multiple hats and learn about new disciplines.
- Pursue independent projects, explore new ideas, and challenge yourself in your field with dedicated “Awesome time” (self-directed professional development) annually and quarterly training budgets
- Enjoy a flexible schedule of full-time hours, health/dental benefits, and private US coverage
- Our Toronto office is a modern, ergonomic space complete with standing/sitting desks and an open-concept social atmosphere
- Additional perks are available including in-house mindfulness training, remote group get-togethers, and more!
Performance and Growth Expectations
Our environment is not your average, hierarchical software studio: we emphasize accountability for outcomes, but autonomy in activities. Your work will be measured using our 360-degree system (a combination of peer and supervisor feedback) and will also be measured based on goals set in collaboration with the leadership team. Your growth path is in your hands— you’ll have ongoing meetings with a mentor and professional guide to help determine your path, but your progress will be based on what you hope to achieve and how you choose to access the resources available to you.
Myplanet is a software studio and certified BCorp. Based in Toronto with global studio presence, we’re working with the world’s most influential organizations to catalyze change across business silos.
Drawing from a range of talents and perspectives, our team brings together data, systems thinking, and curiosity to build next generation experiences. We’re tackling mission-critical digital challenges for businesses by taking the millions of moments of interaction they have with customers every day and surfacing key opportunities to engage and connect within those moments.
We’re building deep capabilities in data-driven design, AI implementation, and personalization, while forming strong partnerships with leaders in machine learning, hardware development, and IoT platforms. We’re shaping the way organizations use technology to deliver context-aware, multi-interface experiences that equip them to meet their business goals.
Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, we're a remote-first company of over 100 employees.
Committed to an Inclusive Workplace
We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment as we build a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. We are dedicated to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require any accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Committed to Social and Environmental Stewardship
Myplanet is committed to promoting and working towards a more socially and environmentally sustainable future. All employees are expected to make decisions and take actions in relation to their role and work that follow through on this commitment.