Engineering Manager - Platform and Site Reliability Engineering
San Francisco or Remote (US)
Posted on 2/19/2021
Mux is video for developers. Our mission is to democratize video by solving the hard problems developers face when building video: video encoding and streaming (Mux Video), video monitoring (Mux Data), and more. Video is a huge part of people’s lives, and we want to help make it better.
We’re committed to building a healthy team that welcomes a diverse range of backgrounds and experiences. We want people who care about our mission, are ready to grow, believe in our values (from Be Human to Turn Customers Into Fans), and want to make the people around them better.
You’ll be joining a tight-knit team with experience at places like Google, YouTube, Twitch, Zencoder, Fastly, and more. Our founders previously started (and sold) Zencoder, an early leader in cloud video technology, and authored Video.js, the biggest HTML5 video player on the web. We organize Demuxed, the premiere conference for video engineers in the world.
We’re backed by top investors like Accel and Y Combinator. You’ll get to work with amazing companies: hundreds of startups, plus Reddit, Vimeo, Robinhood, CBSi, Discovery, PBS, and TED. Customers large and small love working with us and love our team.
We’re growing quickly and are building something big together. We’d love to hear from you!
About the Role
As an engineering manager at Mux, you will lead one or multiple teams to drive the scaling and development of our rapidly growing products. You will also play an integral role in scaling out our team, processes, and culture as we grow.
Along with your team, you will dive into challenging infrastructure and scaling issues to successfully support our platform and developer velocity across multiple products. This is a highly impactful role where the manager is expected to stay closely involved in the technical strategy and execution as well as foster the growth of individuals.
What You'll Do
- Lead a distributed team of SRE and Platform Engineers, which are responsible for building and operating the infrastructure and tooling that powers the core of Mux’s products
- Lead and scale our operations as it relates to reliability and recovery, e.g. incident management, SLOs, post mortems
- Collaboratively develop a team vision and roadmap with your team, technical leaders, and product counterparts.
- Drive the successful execution of complex deliverables through technical insights, organization, and productive collaboration.
- Cultivate a culture of excellence and psychological safety to build inclusive, productive, healthy teams.
- Hire, develop, and retain strong engineering talent.
Who You Are
- 2+ years of engineering management experience with a track record of successfully building and leading inclusive, highly productive teams.
- Prior experience of managing platform and infrastructure teams required; experience of scaling and implementing operational practices for high traffic products (on-call, incident management, collaboration with product teams) preferred.
- Preferred: Experience deploying complex applications on cloud platforms using a container orchestration platform, such as Kubernetes.
- Thrive on nurturing the growth and success of others; you enjoy motivating and bringing a group of people together (engineering and cross-functional).
- Adept at driving decisions and uniting stakeholders when there is ambiguity, disagreements, or conflicting constraints.
- High technical curiosity and willingness to learn. Although prior video experience is not required, diving into the details on the job is expected.
You'd join an amazing team from places like Google/YouTube, Amazon/Twitch, Facebook/Oculus, Brightcove, Bain, and the BBC. We have a supportive culture that cares about both excellent work and work-life balance.
- Flexible PTO
- Healthy work-life balance encouraged
- Competitive health, dental, and vision insurance (99% employee and 50% dependent premium coverage)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Group life insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Investment in career growth and training
- Thought leadership and peer recognition program
- “Day of Learning” events
- Reimbursements for headphones, cell phones, device upgrades, and SVOD services of Mux customers
- Remote lunch reimbursement 3x/week
Mux is an Equal Opportunity employer committed to building a diverse company. We believe diversity makes us better, and we strive to be inclusive and equitable. That’s why we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Location: San Francisco or Remote (US)
Build Better Video: Stream beautiful video to any device and monitor your video performance with our APIs. For help: @MuxSupport For status updates: @MuxStatusApply here