Backend Engineer - TechOps
Posted on 1/26/2021
We’re looking for a Backend Engineer to join our TechOps squad at Monzo.
Our TechOps squad is primarily responsible for making sure everyone at Monzo has all of the tools they need to do a great job. That means managing all of our devices (predominantly running Mac and Chrome OS), managing our G-Suite domains, providing 1:1 support to Monzonauts across the business, and much much more.
A big contributor to the success TechOps have had to date is the way we’ve embedded engineers in the squad, meaning we’ve been able to automate away a lot of the manual work traditionally associated with a TechOps squad.
This has allowed us to move quickly, achieve an incredible ratio of TechOps people to total employees, and reap the benefits of being able to hire people all across the world without friction.
You’ll help us solve problems such as:
- How do we continue to offer outstanding service to all of our Monzonauts without exponentially increasing the number of people working in TechOps? What can we build to automate the work of 20 people?
- What parts of traditional IT can we rethink with code to supercharge TechOps at Monzo?
- How do we build a seamless, delightful experience for Monzonauts with best-in-class homegrown code and third party services?
You’ll be a backend engineer in the squad. Some of the projects you’ll be involved in might include:
- Integrating MDM (Mobile Device Management) and making this a function that integrates with everything else at Monzo, from inventory to access levels on your AWS account.
- Building a seamless way to replicate groups, roles and other logical frameworks across first and third party applications to make authorisation for a Monzonaut a seamless experience.
- Building on a system to track any and every Monzo-owned asset, from network switches to access passes and everything in between.
- So much more - you’ll have the opportunity to influence our roadmap and build on the foundations already in place to continue scaling TechOps with Monzo
You’ll work closely with TechOps generalists and engineers from around the business to tackle some of the challenges mentioned above, working at the intersection between Security, People and TechOps to make sure we’re moving forwards together.
Security, scalability and how we continue to support the services you’re building should always be front of mind.
You’ll also have the opportunity to coach and mentor others in the squad on engineering best practices. We want to empower everyone in the squad to automate away the low-value manual work, and you’ll be key to unlocking this potential alongside other engineers in the squad.
At Monzo we’re aiming to build the best current account in the world. We are always keen to hear from capable, creative engineers who want to help us accomplish that goal 🚀
Our backend engineers have a variety of different backgrounds
We have several non-graduates; only some of us studied Computer Science; one of the team has a degree in Marketing; some of us have worked in huge companies; some have only ever worked in startups; others are former consultants. As long as you enjoy learning new things, we’d love to talk to you. We do not ask for formal qualifications or degree requirements for any of our engineering roles.
We are actively creating an equitable environment for all of our engineers to thrive
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. We provide a sponsorship framework in Engineering for women and people of colour; all of our leaders are trained on privilege awareness and we are creating partnerships with organisations dedicated to supporting underrepresented groups. You can read more in our 2020 Diversity and Inclusion report.
We encourage an open and transparent working environment
You can get involved in any aspect of the business you are interested in and, following Stripe’s example, all emails in the company are visible in an email archive. We contribute to open source software as much as possible. Our blog is a good place to learn even more about what we do!
Monzo works in project-based sprints in small, interdisciplinary teams
We have around 150 engineers out of roughly 1,400 people in total - and we have big ambitions. There are many interesting challenges ahead, and we're happy for people to move between teams or to specialise, whatever you prefer. As an engineer here you'd be able to work directly with anyone across the company, and we run regular knowledge-sharing sessions so you’ll learn heaps about everything from how banks work to effective communication.
At Monzo you will get to work with a lot of exciting new technology.
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies:
- Go to write our application code (there’s an excellent interactive Go tutorial here)
- Cassandra for most persistent data storage
- Kafka for our asynchronous message queue
- Envoy Proxy for RPC
- Kubernetes and Docker to schedule and run our services (Oliver, our VP Architecture, gave a great talk at KubeCon on how we use these technologies)
- AWS for most of our infrastructure
- React for internal web dashboards
- We also have two physical datacenter sites with actual cables to connect to various third parties
Our product squads are truly cross-functional.
This role is all about collaborating across disciplines to test hypotheses and make a difference to customers. As a product backend engineer you’ll work in a squad alongside product managers, marketers, user researchers, designers, mobile engineers, web engineers, data analysts, business analysts, writers and more!
You should apply if
- You’re someone who doesn't wait to be told what to do. You spot problems and proactively fix them
- You’re an engineer who's happy writing (or would like to learn to write) views in React and backend services in Go
- You’re someone who can think big, but start small. The squad have lots of ideas and you’ll need to help shape these and show what is possible - then bring that to life
- You have ideas about how we can think ‘big picture’ and can scale TechOps going forward
- You’re comfortable working with an interrupt-driven squad. A lot of what the squad does is reactive, and you’ll need to support that at times. TechOps spin a lot of plates, and it’s important that you can see the bigger picture and prioritise your time to work on the most important problems
Salary is around £69,000 - £116,000 plus stock options and other benefits.
We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working (with ad hoc meetings in London once COVID is over).
We have payroll set up in three countries: the UK, Ireland, and France. Right now, we can only hire people who work from those countries and we’ll keep this updated with new ones as we expand and are able to hire from more places 🌎
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Our interview process is normally a phone interview, a coding task and call to discuss it, and 2-3 hours of onsite interviews that can be conducted via hangouts as well. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions. We might design a system together on a whiteboard, the same way we often work together, but we won’t make you write code on one.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.