Posted on 10/28/2020
Role: Associate General Counsel
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Reports To: General Counsel
About This Role
We are looking for an Associate General Counsel to serve as an in-house counsel and handle complex corporate legal matters and compliance projects.
You excel at contract review, forms development, researching and building processes from scratch, and providing hands-on contract drafting and legal advice to all levels within an organization. You have experience addressing consumer related compliance issues and establishing compliance processes and documentation.
- Draft and review contracts to minimize risk and apply consistent legal terms and protections with heavy emphasis on technology and vendor related contracts
- Research, develop, and implement corporate compliance policies for various key risk (such as TCPA, CanSpam, VCPA, OFAC, Anti-Bribery)
- Participate in corporate transactions, mergers and acquisition including data room management and coordination of responses with outside counsel and internal resources
- Research, identify, and mitigate legal risks across the organization
- Work with external parties (regulators, external counsel, clients)
- Meet legal objectives
- Deal with complex, significant matters that cut across legal and related areas
- Keep abreast of legislative and regulatory changes
- Work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining multiple projects and responsibilities
- 3-5+ years of comparable law firm experience
- Strong proven background in corporate law and contract drafting
- Excellent negotiation and communications skills
- Analytical ability
- Strong attention to detail
- Works independently, but knows when to collaborate
- Current license to practice law
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, labor law, accounting law, intellectual property law, etc)
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
- MA or BS in Business Administration will be considered an asset
- Self-motivated and directed; ability to collaborate is a must
- Strong intellectual curiosity and a desire to learn how to help others solve problems
- Flexible and willing to do what is needed to get great work done
- A natural inclination to work within a culture that is fast-paced and dynamic
Hippo is modernizing the $100B home insurance industry by putting customers at the center of everything we do, from the coverage we offer to the customer service we provide. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping people protect their homes to begin with by leveraging technology and data to help find small issues before they become big headaches. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
Hippo treats its team members with the same level of dedication and care as we do our customers. Our CEO, Assaf Wand, views this company as an opportunity to care for one another like a family, which is why we’re fortunate to provide all of our Hippos with:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly).
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Little Hippos Program- We reimburse our team members up to $25k for adoption costs and up to $50k for infertility treatments. Plus, we offer 12 weeks parental leave for primary caregivers and 6 weeks for secondary caregivers.
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.