Posted on 11/19/2020
Discord's Data Science team provides actionable insights into Discord's ecosystem and builds tools to empower teams to make data-informed decisions.
We're a mix of Analysts and Data Scientists whose mission is to understand our users, partners, product, and the broader market. We work with leaders across Discord’s product, engineering, and business teams to drive decision-making, define metrics and KPIs, run experiments, and build foundational models and datasets powering all of the above.
Discord is looking for a highly technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Director of Data Science to help us scale Analytics & Data Science to the next level. As the head of our Data Science group reporting into our Head of Data, you will have significant leadership and influence on the evolution of our Product & Data organization.
If that sounds exciting to you, read on!
What you will do
- Build and lead multiple teams of highly-engaged managers, data analysts, and data scientists by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Own the vision and roadmap for the Data Science organization by working with your leads, teams and executive partners across the company
- Manage processes and use your technical expertise to continually improve the team and ensure your team achieves extraordinary results.
- Ensure that the Data Science team drives direct impact by identifying opportunities to support Discord’s business goals and prioritizing the most important projects
- Work with other Directors to evolve the Product & Data organization and uphold our workplace philosophy.
What you have
- You have 5+ years of experience as a Data Science leader and have successfully managed multiple other managers and individual data scientists.
- You have experience hiring and growing senior leaders and managers.
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to both concrete and ambiguous problems using first principles thinking.
- You've worked with complex distributed data systems deployed at scale.
- You are passionate about coaching and leading other data scientists, but secretly love getting elbow deep in code when the opportunities arise.
- You keep up with the industry trends and identify new tools to use to solve data science problems.
- Experience defining and building new teams and departments from scratch
- Experience working with modern data technologies like Spark, Hive, BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift, Looker
- Experience with Machine Learning technologies like TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras or XGBoost
- Experience with modern cloud platforms like Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Web Services
- Experience hiring for fast-growing startups
Benefits and Perks
- Medical insurance including Health, Dental, Vision
- 13 paid holidays
- Parental Leave and fertility benefits
- Transgender benefits
- Supported-employee clubs and Employee Resource Groups
- Commuter Contributions of $270 a month (pretax)
- Daily lunches and unlimited snacks
- Monthly gym and fitness stipend
Friends, coworkers, gamers, nerds, moms, dads, engineers, designers, marketers, support. Originally, we created Discord to help people come together around games. It's been amazing to watch it grow into what it is today - a place where millions of diverse communities exist and people connect with old friends and new. Diversity and inclusiveness are a critical part of how we get to what's next. We believe that with diversity comes a better product, better decisions, and a better work environment. As we continue to grow, our values keep us dedicated to building a company that is representative of the world we live and play in.
Discord is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value diversity, inclusion, and aim to provide a sense of belonging for everyone.