Analyst, Trust & SafetyTweet about this!
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 68 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Security Operations Team
Security is a primary competency at Coinbase, and the Security Operations Team keeps a watchful eye over every aspect of it. Every day, we go to battle against some of the most sophisticated attackers in the world to protect billions of dollars worth of digital assets and ensure that our customers and employees can enjoy a safe, trusted experience. As Coinbase scales globally, our team is scaling along with it, using a blend of tooling, automation, and strategic team growth to ensure that we’re well-equipped to protect the next billion users of crypto.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
The Security Operations group is a multi-functional organization that includes our Trust & Safety, CSIRT, Insider Threat, and Threat Intelligence. While no two days will end up looking the same, generally-speaking you’ll be responsible for the following things:
- You’ll define and evaluate user abuse metrics, and come up with novel ways to investigate what’s driving these metrics
- You’ll build real time rules to respond to attacks and features to improve our internal machine learning models
- You’ll devise, build, and maintain reports, dashboards and visualizations to help the business better understand user abuse at Coinbase
- You’ll perform in-depth data analysis and look for patterns and trends to identify potential new security issues, understand attack vectors, and build automated detection systems
- If something happens twice, you’ll write a run-book for it. If it happens three times, you’ll figure out a way to automate that run-book
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
Some security teams have strict requirements about certifications, degrees, years of experience, and things like that. Not us! We’re more interested in the unique perspectives and expertise you’ll bring to the team rather than the acronyms on your resume. However, you’ll be much more likely to be successful in this role if these points seem like a good description of you:
- You’ve been doing data analysis (e.g., SQL, MySQL, MapReduce) for a while now, probably in the realm of 4+ years
- You enjoy finding elegant solutions to tricky problems, the trickier the problem the more fun you have solving it
- You frequently get praise from your peers and coworkers about your communication skills, both written and verbal
- You don’t just reflexively open up a Jupyter Notebook during an investigation, you’ve actually got favorite Jupyter Notebooks you’ve built up over the years, because you like backing up your conclusions with data, and you like automating things
- You can translate complex findings and results into a concise and compelling narrative
Nice to haves:
- You would bring a diverse perspective to the team: for example, maybe you took an unconventional route to get into your current security career
- You’ve got a passing familiarity with blockchains and cryptocurrency, or at least a good story about how you thought about investing in Bitcoin in 2014 but decided not to
- You’ve worked on or have thought deeply about Internet-based risk, abuse, fraud, data protection or security
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations@ coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact accommodations@ coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.