Associate General Counsel, Institutional
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. Given the nascent state of the law, novel legal guidance is needed!
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced product counsel to serve as Senior Counsel in our Product Legal team. This position will report to our Director & Associate General Counsel, Institutional working on a variety of institutional and B2B products. You will be responsible for senior leadership on a number of complex Prime Brokerage related product counseling initiatives, embedded with Coinbase’s Product team. You will collaborate closely with business executives, product teams, and Legal and Compliance department colleagues to move the business forward.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Provide full product life-cycle counseling for a variety of global prime brokerage related products. Ensure product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, in close collaboration with colleagues in Legal and Compliance teams.
- Provide thought leadership and strategic direction on novel digital currency and blockchain technology legal and regulatory issues.
- Lead complex and global cross functional efforts, driving and ensuring cross-functional alignment with all internal stakeholders (Business Development/Sales, Product/Engineering, Business Development/Sales, Compliance).
- Proactively solve process and other problems for the business as they plan and execute on an accelerated and aggressive global growth plan.
- Provide practical in depth analysis on legal issues and risks, complex products and company policies in a risk-tolerant, but compliance-oriented environment, including the impact on the company's long-term strategy to business, compliance, and legal audiences.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Current license in a U.S. state. JD or equivalent with 8+ years of legal experience.
- Expertise and experience working on prime brokerage issues at a financial services institution such as a fintech, retail bank, investment bank, hedge fund, or prime broker
- Experience working with product teams launching fintech, financial services, investment, or similar products.
- Familiarity with the following laws and agencies: money transmission laws, banking regulations, securities regulations, commodities regulations, CDA Section 230, NYDFS, OCC, SEC, and CFTC.
- Experience working with and leading cross-functional teams.
- Experience working with and presenting to C-suite and VP-level leadership.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible.
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Top-notch analytical skills with experience owning projects from concept to finish.
- Comfort and experience with technology solutions that help you scale your practice.
- Get to “yes” approach in working with the business.
- Risk-adjusted thinking.
- Sound and practical business judgement.
- Intellectual curiosity and flexibility.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
- High EQ, wise, authentic, with a sense of humor
Req ID: R21943
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.