Posted on 9/18/2020
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy, and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Read more about our values and culture here.
We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company domestically and internationally. We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced product counsel to join our Consumer product legal team as Senior Counsel. This position will report to the Associate General Counsel for Consumer, who serves as chief counsel for all Coinbase consumer products. This is a highly visible role throughout Coinbase, which will require you to build strong relationships with your teammates and business partners. Embedded with Coinbase Consumer, you will collaborate closely with product managers, cross-departmental team members, and Legal and Compliance department colleagues, taking a thought leadership role in advising our Consumer Product business on specific aspects of product development and implementation.
What You'll Be Doing (i.e., Job Duties)
- Help build a best-in-class consumer crypto product legal team, embedded with the Consumer business.
- Integrate into the day-to-day operations of Coinbase Consumer, assisting with the provision of legal, business and strategic advice.
- Ensure product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, in close collaboration with colleagues in Legal and the Compliance team.
- Be a business partner, not just an attorney.
- Provide full product life-cycle counseling.
- Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as they plan, build, and execute on their product roadmap.
- Identify issues that may fall outside your expertise, driving resolution by partnering with other members of the Coinbase legal team and outside counsel.
- Work cross-departmentally, including with stakeholders such as Compliance, Communications, Finance, Tax, Security, Enterprise Risk Management, Engineering, Data, Analytics, Corporate Development, and members of Coinbase’s leadership team.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of complex legal requests and coordinate closely with Legal department colleagues to ensure the swift delivery of smart, practical advice.
- Operate in a fast paced, demanding environment and pivot quickly to meet leadership's needs.
- Train the Coinbase Consumer team on your areas of subject matter expertise.
- Scale the advice you provide, so that you can do more with less and grow efficiently with the business.
What We Look For In You (ie. Job Requirements)
- J. D. degree with 8+ years of legal experience, including in-house with a consumer financial services business, a consumer internet business, or a fintech company.
- Experience working with and leading cross-functional teams.
- Experience advising clients on risk mitigation across technology product platforms.
- Familiarity with laws and agencies applicable to Coinbase Consumer , including money transmission laws, banking regulations (Reg Z, Reg E), UDAAP, FTC Section 5, CDA Section 230, CCPA, GDPR, NYDFS, OCC, SEC, CFTC, and the CFPB.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible as well as working in areas where regulation is still evolving.
- Interest in digital currency and blockchain technology.
- Excellent judgement, analytic rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Comfort and experience with technology solutions that help scale your practice.
- “Get to yes” approach in working with the business.
- Risk-adjusted thinking.
- Intellectual curiosity and flexibility.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
- High EQ.
- Wisdom, authentic, sense of humor.
- Active and in good standing in one State Bar in the United States.